Social Service Designee - Temporary Full Time
The Social Service Designee provides for social, emotional and psychological needs of skilled nursing residents; promotes continuing growth and development to the individual’s full potential. The Social Service Designee plans, coordinates and implements social services to meet the needs of each resident. S/he works with the staff, community, appropriate social agencies, volunteers, residents and their families.
The Skilled Nursing Social Services Designee reports to the Skilled Nursing Director.
- Coordinates the provision of social services to residents, families and significant others to enable them to deal with the impact of illness on individual family functioning and to achieve maximum benefits from health care services.
- Develops and is involved in the implementation of programs to assist residents and their families with the social and psychological factors of illness.
- Participates with physicians, nursing personnel and other members of the management team in the planning of resident care services and the resident care plan.
- Participates in the development and implementation of Social Services resident care policies and protocols and provides advice and guidance in handing special cases or resident needs.
- Assists with discharge and home care planning process to facilitate the continuity of care and the provision of effective resident and family support services.
- Coordinates the referral of residents and families to appropriate community, social service, home health service, extended care and rehabilitation facilities and organizations.
- Participates with Nursing in arrangements for transfer of residents to other floors or rooms.
- Participates in resident care conferences involving nursing staff and other health team members, as required.
- Assists in effectively maintaining all required records for the Social Services Department; demonstrates good organization skills.
- Participates in quality improvement activities of the Social Services Department to promote the maintenance of high quality resident care.
- Demonstrates and promotes an awareness of resident rights; functions as a resident advocate; ensures that staff members are aware of all resident rights.
- Must respond to people – particularly the aged and their families – in a friendly and sympathetic manner, projecting in both telephones and personal contacts an image which reflects the mission of the Hospital.
- Monitors the documentation of psychosocial assessments and intervention to ensure that they consistently include living situations, mental status, activities of daily living status and family/significant others involvement.
- Maintains the delivery of resident care with the Social Services Department to comply with established facility, State and Federal resident care guidelines and standards.
- Assists and screens for new admissions.
- Completes a social history assessment on all residents within 7 days of admission. This includes Acute “Swing” bed patients at the Portola campus, as well.
- Participates in the Minimum Data Set (MDS) process and does quarterly social service assessments, including dental, financial, family and other pertinent data.
- Arranges for all dental, vision, and other doctor appointments for residents.
- Arranges transportation for all such appointments as needed.
- Sets up and maintains petty cash and trust account funds for all residents who request same.
- Assists resident in adjusting to social and emotional aspects of stay in the facility.
- Sees that the emotional needs of the resident are identified and met.
- Keeps in regular communication with residents’ families.
- Assists in obtaining clothes for residents when needed.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirements.
- Wears identification while on duty
- Uses computerized time system correctly.
- Completes annual update and attends department meetings and in-services as scheduled.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient’s records.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Is a motivated, independent individual who can organize workload so that all functions are completed appropriately.
- Be able to effectively work and consult with designated Social Worker in the respective counties.
- High school graduates or equivalent
- Social Service Designee certificate or education equivalent to Social Service Designee within 3 months of hire
- Be able to work well with people and have an understanding of the problems of the elderly and dependent adults.
- Knowledge of State regulations for Skilled Nursing Facilities.
- CPR certified within three months of hire
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 09/18/18