5k- Sign On Bonus - LVN Charge Nurse SNF
Position Title: LVN Charge Nurse – Skilled Nursing Date of Origin
Reports To: Director of Nursing Approved By: HR Manager, Director of Nursing
The Charge Nurse assesses plans and implements the nursing care of residents within the skilled nursing setting with the
supervision of a Registered Nurse. The Charge Nurse is responsible for ensuring continuity of care of the residents
between shifts by providing direct care as well as supervising the care given by the C.N.A.s. The Charge Nurse supervises
the duties of support staff members including RNA, Activities Director and Assistant, Social Services Designee and Ward
Clerk. The Charge Nurse participates in education and communication with the resident and family, as well as notifies
DON, medical staff and SNF team of changes in residents’ condition during any given shift. Maintains role as resident
advocate with a focus on the facility’s mission.
The LVN, Charge Nurse reports directly to the Director of Nursing, in the absence of the DON, the Charge Nurse
ultimately reports to the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Assesses the residents on admission and on a weekly basis as well as when conditions change. Documents appropriately including Minimum Data Sets as instructed by the Resident Assessment Coordinator, RN.
- Assesses the resident’s condition and nursing needs, prescribes appropriate nursing action. Ability to assess and reassess pain and pain management techniques utilized. Educates the resident and family regarding pain management.
- Responsible for documenting changes in resident’s condition and nursing care on progress notes and care plan.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies; including training of new staff on current EMR systems used on the unit.
- Notifies physician of changes in resident’s condition and follows through until appropriate action is taken. Notes and carries out physician’s orders in a timely manner.
- Follows and updates the resident’s care, writes weekly summaries on assigned residents, reviews the monthly MAR/Physician orders for correctness, completes monthly information necessary for billing,
- completes the monthly assessment of sedatives/hypnotics, and psychiatric medications, and participates in the quarterly care conference when able.
- Gives a thorough report to oncoming shift informing them of all changes in conditions and follow-up needed.
- Follows through as needed on information given by shift report, resident or family regarding resident concerns.
- Implements plan of care of the resident based on assessments and goals established by the interdisciplinary care team.
- Treats residents and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethical and religious/spiritual needs of residents and their families. Cares for patients in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort.
- Follows proper infection control procedures and supervises supportive staff in infection control procedures. Attends in-service training programs related to the job. Attends 80% of Licensed Staff Meetings yearly. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (Include Education, Certifications, Physical Capacities, Equipment Used, Specific Skills)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
- Must be currently licensed as an LVN/RN in the state of California.
- Must be CPR certified.
- Must be able to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Must obtain IV certification within one year of employment.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates ability to remain calm in emergency and/or stressful situations and gives everyone the feeling of confidence that station is under control.
- Exhibits genuine interest in and appreciation of adults in later years of life.
- Must demonstrate a maturity level that enables him/her to perform the job in a professional and organized
- Must have a good understanding of basis of asepsis to avoid infections of patients and self or contamination of equipment and supplies.
- Excellent communication skills
- Reliability and dependability
- Ability to teach and train new hires
- Ability to delegate assignments
- Multitasking, flexibility and self-motivation
- Ability to think creatively and problem solve
PHYSICAL CAPACITIES/EQUIPMENT OPERATED:
- Must meet the physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment as set standards require.
- Arjo Hoyer and Sara sit to stand lifts.
- General Office equipment
- Position includes repetitive bending, lifting up to 50 lbs, frequently stand, walk, repositioning of
The LVN/RN has a supervisory relationship with CNAs and support staff on the unit, and close working relationships
with the physicians, the patients, the families, the visitors, the volunteers, other departments, the Director of
Nursing, and the Chief Nursing Officer.
FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY:
The LVN Charge Nurse works within the scope of the LVN license and under the direction of the Director of
Nursing or Resident Assessment Coordinator, RN, in her absence. He/she is ultimately accountable to the Chief
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY:
As set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), this position must maintain
patient confidentiality in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
Protected Health Information is restricted to a need-to-know basis. Any intentional or unintentional breach of
confidentiality will be reported to the HIPAA Privacy Officer and is subject to disciplinary action, up to and
including termination of employment.
Pay: $32 to $35/hour
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 01312024