Social Services Designee Skilled Nursing Facility
We are currently recruiting a Social Services Designee. This is a full time, benefited position that works in the Skilled Nursing Facility in Loyalton, California. The position is Monday through Friday, eight-hour shifts. The Social Service Designee provides for the social, emotional and psychological needs of skilled nursing residents. The incumbent promotes continuing growth and development of the residents full emotional and psychosocial potential. The Social Service Designee plans, coordinates and implements social services to meet the needs of each resident. S/he works with the staff, community, appropriate social agencies, volunteers, residents and their families.
The successful candidate will be outgoing, organized, highly motivated, excited to work with and improve the lives of the elderly and dependent adult residents. The ideal candidate will have some background in social services, community and county services, and be able to work independently to seek out services for residents as necessary.
All persons working in a healthcare setting in California are required to have the COVID-19 vaccine. We offer the vaccine free of charge as part of your new hire process.
Principle responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates the provision of social services to residents, families and significant others to enable them to deal with the impact of illness on individual family functioning and to achieve maximum benefits from health care services.
- Participate in the implementation of programs to assist residents and their families with the social and psychological factors of illness.
- Participates with physicians, nursing personnel, and other members of the management team in the planning of resident care services and the resident care plans, including participation in nursing care conferences.
- Participates in the development and implementation of Social Services resident care policies and protocols and provides advice and guidance in handing special cases or resident needs.
- Assists with discharge and home care planning process to facilitate the continuity of care and the provision of effective resident and family support services.
- Coordinates the referral of residents and families to appropriate community, social service, home health service, extended care and rehabilitation facilities and organizations.
- Participates with Nursing in arrangements for transfer of residents to other floors, rooms, and outside appointments.
- Schedules medical, dental, and vision appointments for residents as necessary, including transportation and necessary nursing assistance.
- Assists in effectively maintaining all required records for the Social Services Department; demonstrates good organization skills.
- Participates in quality improvement activities of the Social Services Department to promote the maintenance of high quality resident care.
- Demonstrates and promotes an awareness of resident rights; functions as a resident advocate; ensures that staff members are aware of all resident rights.
- Must respond to people – particularly the aged and their families – in a friendly and sympathetic manner, projecting in both telephones and personal contacts an image which reflects the mission of the District.
- Monitors the documentation of psychosocial assessments and intervention to ensure that they consistently include living situations, mental status, activities of daily living status and family/significant others involvement.
- Maintains the delivery of resident care with the Social Services Department to comply with established facility, State and Federal resident care guidelines and standards.
- Assists and screens for new admissions.
- Completes a social history assessment on all residents within 7 days of admission.
- Participates in the Minimum Data Set (MDS) process and does quarterly social service assessments, including dental, financial, family and other pertinent data collection.
- Sets up and maintains petty cash and trust account funds for all residents who request same.
- Assists resident in adjusting to social and emotional aspects of stay in the facility.
- Sees that the emotional needs of the resident are identified and met.
- Keeps in regular communication with residents’ families.
- Assists in obtaining clothes for residents when needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 3 years of customer service experience (health care related preferred)
- Social Service Designee certificate or education equivalent to Social Service Designee within 3 months of hire
- Be able to work well with people and have an understanding of the problems of the elderly and dependent adults
- Knowledge of State regulations for Skilled Nursing Facilities (CA Code of Regulations Title 22)
- BLS certified within three months of hire
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirements.
- Wears identification while on duty
- Uses computerized time system correctly.
- Attends department meetings and in-services as scheduled.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient’s records, complies with HIPAA at all times
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the District.
- Is a motivated, independent individual who can organize workload so that all functions are completed appropriately and timely.
- Be able to effectively work and consult with designated Social Worker in the respective counties.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3.13.20