RDA/ Dental Assistant- per diem
The Dental Assistant is responsible for assisting our dentists in providing high quality dental care for Eastern Plumas Health Care dental clinic patients. The incumbent is responsible for stellar customer service and providing answers to patient questions according to their guidelines of practice as outlined in the California Codes, Regulations, and Standards for the Dental Assistant.
Our dental clinic operates Monday-Thursday from 8am-5pm. This is a per-diem position requiring at least 2 shifts per month, with an opportunity for possible additional shifts.
- Performs general chair-side duties in accordance with the basic supportive procedures and approval by the supervising licensed dentist.
- Prepares and maintains dental instruments, supplies, and equipment. Is responsible for sterilizing dental instruments and equipment for each patient.
- Hands instruments and other materials to the dentist during procedures.
- Uses suction and swabs to keep patients’ mouths clear and dry during procedures.
- Operates radiography equipment for the purpose of oral radiography. Performs intraoral and extraoral photography.
- Organizes, restocks, and keeps the operatory, lab, sterilization area, and x-ray areas clean and orderly.
- Maintains inventory control and management of supplies within established budgets.
- Schedules recommended service maintenance in collaboration with the Clinical Director or Clinical Supervisor.
Knowledge and Requirements
- Infection Control Certification
- CPR Certification
- Command of the English language and able to communicate clearly to callers, visitors, patients, and all other staff members.
- Must have Radiology training and license.
- Understanding of HIPPA and confidentiality issues as they relate to patient documents and communications.
- The Dental Assistant shall practice in accordance with the Dental Practices Act for the State of CA.
- Interpret basic patient needs.
- High school diploma or GED. 1-2 years of medical or clinical experience preferred.
Skills / Requirements
10 Top Qualities of a Dental Assistant
- Empathy and compassion for people
- Ability to listen, understand, and following directions
- Good communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- A willingness to learn and grow
- Knowledge of dental procedures
- Ability to take X-rays, make dental impressions, read blood pressure, etc.
- Capable at spotting possible dental emergencies
- Ability to prepare and sterilize exam room and dentistry tools
- Understanding of common dental materials
- Ability to multitask and solve problems
- Organizational skills
- Literacy in computers and applications
- Tracking and ordering necessary supplies
1. Good listener
Dental assistants are on the front lines with patients every day. Lending an ear is essential to understanding their questions and concerns!
Patients are often nervous or scared. The best dental assistants know how to be a calming presence.
3. Being a people person
If you love meeting new people, dental assisting is for you!
Dental assisting is not for the faint of heart. It's ever-changing and can sometimes require long days. If you have determination, you will go far.
5. Strong work ethic
Sometimes dental assistants work long hours with few breaks. But the best assistants find it rewarding and energizing!
There will be some tough days. The dental assistants who are dedicated know how to take it in stride and find joy in providing patient care.
If you don’t show up, the office might just fall apart. Just kidding (but not really).
In this profession, you need to be prepared for anything! From getting exam rooms ready to tracking inventory and scheduling appointments, dental assistants need strong organizational skills.
Do you know how to read minds? Dentists will be amazed and impressed with how you know what they need before they do!
Dental assistants say they do it all — and often they do it all at the same time!
Pay: $19 to $28/hour
Job Status: Part Time,On Call
Job Reference #: 21420