Medical Assistant/LVN/CMA - Full Time
The Medical Assistant (Can Be Either MA Certified or LVN), performs a wide variety of patient care activities under the direction and supervision of a medical provider. The Medical Assistant’s scope of duties may be administrative, clinical, clerical or technical. Duties may include preparing patients for examination, office procedures, taking medical history, assisting the provider as requested, cleaning and sterilizing instruments and equipment, instructing patients regarding preparation for x-Ray and laboratory tests, ordering and maintaining stocks of supplies, collecting specimens from patients, performing approved diagnostic tests, measuring and recording vital signs, preparing treatment trays and assisting with minor surgical procedures or performing front office duties.
- Responsible for patient flow, with the assistance of other staff members. Greets patients, introduces self and escorts them from the waiting rooms to the examination rooms.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height, weight, BMI, chief complaints, notes allergies, tobacco and ETOH use, last menstrual cycle and records information in the electronic medical record (EMR) system.
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients and for special procedures specific to practitioner specialty.
- Drapes patients with appropriate covering and positions instruments and equipment.
- Hands instruments and materials to practitioners and assists with procedures as directed.
- Provides necessary emotional and technical support for patients during procedures and informs patients of what is expected of them and what to anticipate.
- Within scope of practice, acts as telephone liaison between practitioners and patients with immediate medical questions.
- Triages patients and telephone messages for the provider, and assists with prescription refill paperwork and messages.
- Performs lab draws and obtains specimens for testing at the request of the provider as necessary.
- Prepares laboratory slides as required for testing.
- Administers immunizations, vaccines and other stock medications for injection as ordered by the provider (e.g. Hep B, B12, hormones, etc.)
- Performs testing, such as visual acuity, Ishihara color testing, audiometry and tympanometry.
- Arranges referrals and consultation appointments, identifies the necessary clinical and administrative documentation required for referral or consultative care and provides direction regarding their destination prior to submission to Medical Records for transmission.
- Works with front office staff regarding patient recalls on pap tests, mammograms, CHDP examinations and other cyclical visits.
- Responsible for cleaning, organizing, stocking supplies and maintaining patient exam rooms between patient visits.
- Manages provider reminders and brings to his/her attention delays in order completion.
- Attends clinical training meetings, staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Performs routine light maintenance as needed, such as cleaning spills, changing light bulbs on minor equipment, etc.
- Additional duties as may be assigned.
Job Status: Full Time