Hospital Admitting/Utility Clerk, Full Time Portola
I POSITION SUMMARY
The Hospital Admitting/Utility Clerk is responsible to perform various duties from the following position descriptions.
- Account Representative
- Communication System Operator
- Data processing Operator
- Hospital Admitting Registrar
The Hospital Admitting/Utility Clerk provides staff support in the above areas as needed. The incumbent must also be flexible in providing coverage for weekend and PM shifts. These duties are to be performed in a prompt, friendly, and accurate manner while maintaining confidentiality. Additional duties as assigned apply.
II REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
The Hospital Admitting/Utility Clerk reports to the Business Services Manager.
III PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Account Representative – Submit accurate and timely claims to all fiscal intermediaries, third party payers and patient balances. Act effectively as a resource for all patients, attorneys and third parties. Perform various patient account maintenance functions. Additional duties as assigned.
- Communication System Operator - Delivers quality telephone services promptly and professionally to all customers.
- Data Processing Operator – Accurately and efficiently prepares daily deposits, keys daily charges, payments and adjustments. Assists with special projects. Processes outgoing mail.
- Admitting – Ensures effective and confidential patient admissions and registration. Coordinates inpatient/outpatient procedures with physician’s office prior to patient’s arrival. Maintains a calm, professional and positive attitude in dealing with all customers. Any additional duties that may be assigned.
- Must be able to understand and comply with Eastern Plumas Health Care policies and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain patient confidentiality and comply with all regulations as set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Ac t of 1996 (HIPPA).
IV FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY
The incumbent is responsible for following established admitting/registration, billing and collection policies. The incumbent has full authority to monitor the billing/payments and to accurately change billing codes or methods to optimize reimbursement and expedite payments. The incumbent has the authority to negotiate payment plans with patients, not to exceed policy. The incumbent has the authority to determine what action is needed to expeditiously and effectively process patient account related matters and only seek assistance or approval when he/she determines it is necessary. The incumbent has full authority to update various patient related data. The incumbent refers to the Supervisor and Manager on accounts that require refunds, collection agency assignment and administrative adjustments.
V WORKING RELATIONSHIP/CONTACTS
The incumbent has contact with the general public, physicians, clinic personnel, administration, nursing personnel, other business services staff, vendors and suppliers as well as physician offices, pharmacies, state health entities and third-party payers.
VI POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Educations & Experience:
Typically requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Additional education in hospital environment or medical billing office is desired. A combination of education and experience which leads to the possession of the requisite skills and abilities will be considered.
Outstanding interpersonal, communication and telephone skills are required. Effective verbal and written skills, including accurate spelling, legible printing and/or handwriting. Demonstrated ability to handle public contact, with excellent guest relations. Ability to work in a busy environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities while maintaining an effective office workflow. Ability to type 35 cwmp and operate office machinery is necessary.
Ability to perform repetitive motions with fingers, hands, arms, neck and shoulders. This position includes bending, reaching, squatting and extend periods of sitting.
Knowledge of basic office procedures, medical terminology, ICD10 diagnosis codes and governmental billing and insurance codes is desired. Experience in financial counseling is highly preferred.
Pay: from $20/hour
Salary wage is based on previous experience.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 10 19 2023