Environmental Services Manager
The Manager will provide overall direction for the operations of the Housekeeping and Laundry departments at the Portola and Loyalton campuses. The position will be responsible for the policies and procedures for Environmental Services, as well as the department budget. The EVC Manager is responsbile for oversight of all employee performance and evaluations, scheduling and staffing/hiring needs. This is a primarily working supervisory position requiring 1/2 to 1 day of administrative responsibilities.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the hospital’s housekeeping services.
- Supervises all employees in the department, assuring proper procedures are followed and all work meets hospital standards.
- Responsible for cleanliness of all hospital operations ranging from outside office to sterile surgery rooms
- Problem solves within department, maintaining smooth workflow to and through other hospital departments.
- Effectively selects quality employees and manages them in a professional manner.
- Notifies Director of any ongoing problems.
- Schedules employee work hours, vacation, and holiday time. Responsible for coverage when employees are absent or openings exist. .
- Approves employee time reports, ensuring payment for correct hours, shifts, and non-productive time. Makes corrections as necessary.
- Conducts job evaluations on all employees.
- Maintains productivity within budget limitations.
- Maintains positive morale within department. In-services employees on proper procedures, ensures quality of work schedules.
- Ensures all new employees know the requirements and techniques for the job and ensures that exiting employees have proper training when they are switched to different schedules.
- Effectively resolves complaints from other managers.
- Negotiates and resolves service requests from other managers.
- Determines the qualifications and competence level for department staff. Make recommendations regarding required staffing levels.
- Budget requests are documented.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and services appropriate to the population served on the assigned unit or work area.
- Prepares and presents all counseling, coaching, write-ups and disciplinary actions to employees in the department, seeking assistance from Human Resources as needed.
- Conducts comprehensive inspections to check the completion of work assignments.
- Conducts comprehensive inspections to ensure safe working conditions.
- Conducts daily checks of compliance related to environmental surfaces (ie: no unlabelled chemicals, all chemicals must be locked, etc.)
- Inventories and orders cleaning equipment and supplies to ensure that employees have adequate supplies for completion of assignments.
- Advise the Housekeeping Coordinator of issues involving personnel.
- Submits recommendations to Housekeeping Coordinator for repair or replacement of damaged equipment.
- Other special projects and duties as assigned by the Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
- Associates or Bachelors degree preferred
- Work experience in a supervisory role required
- At least 3 years of experience in hospital based housekeeping
- Knowledge of HAZCOM, Standard precautions, terminal cleaning etc
- General knowledge of sanitation standards as related to healthcare
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to motivate team members and coach with inspiration.
- Reliability and dependability
- Ability to teach and train new hires
- Ability to delegate assignments
- Multitasking, flexibility and self-motivation
- Ability to think creatively and problem solve with outside-the-box solutions while staying compliant.
PHYSICAL CAPACITIES/EQUIPMENT OPERATED:
- Personal Computer
- Fax Machine
- General Office equipment
- Position includes repetitive bending, lifting up to 50 lbs, frequently stand, walk, push and pull equipment.
- Some stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching.
The Manager will work closely with the Supervisors of Loyalton and Portola housekeeping departments. The Manager has a close working relationship with all hospital and clinic departments and State health facilities. The Manager has contact with patients and the general public, staff and physicians.
FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY:
All housekeeping staff are responsible to follow all established policies of the department and the mandates of State and Federal agencies. Housekeeping staff are responsible to maintain a clean and sanitary environment utilizing all safety standards.
Job Status: Full Time