Surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains with beautiful lakes and trails for hiking, biking, fishing, and skiing, this facility is thriving and is looking for a highly motivated EMT to fill a Per Diem position and provide excellent care to our community. It’s an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of the successful growth this rural hospital is experiencing.
Eastern Plumas Health Care is a small, non-profit, critical access hospital, providing comprehensive medical services to Plumas County since 1971. We operate an acute care hospital at our main Portola campus, which includes a 24-hour, physician staffed, emergency room and ambulance service. In addition, four primary care medical clinics and a dental clinic offer residents a full spectrum of health care services in the Graeagle, Greenville, Loyalton, and Portola communities. There are also hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facilities in Portola and Loyalton.
All healthcare workers are required to be vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine. We offer this free of charge as a part of your new employment process.
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) provides medical care in accordance with the established protocols and within the scope of practice for both pre-hospital and hospital settings.
- Drives and operates ambulances.
- Under direct supervision of the paramedic, provides appropriate care and treatment to patients in the pre-hospital setting within the EMT scope of practice.
- Under direct supervision of the emergency room physician and/or RN, provides appropriate care and treatment to patients in the hospital setting within the EMT scope of practice.
- Reports to the emergency room physician and/or RN any change noted in patient condition.
- Documents all patient care activities in a timely manner.
- Maintains ambulance and Emergency Room supplies.
- Cleans and disinfects ambulance after each use.
- Operates all emergency medical equipment efficiently and to the level of training.
- Inspects ambulance equipment and supplies every shift.
- Maintains all required certification.
- Attends training courses and studies assigned materials relative to emergency medical services.
- Maintain physical conditioning to perform strenuous work under emergency conditions.
- Follows proper chain of command (Ambulance Operations Manager) with any problems, complaints, requests or suggestions.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures and protocols.
- Maintains a professional appearance and attitude while on duty.
- Assists other departments in the hospital as needed.
- Performs related tasks and duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (Include Education, Certifications, Physical Capacities, Equipment Used, Specific Skills)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
- Must be 21 years or older.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Emergency Medical Technician certification.
- CPR certification.
- DL51 (driver’s physical).
- Ambulance driver’s certification (by start date).
- Possess the mental and physical health to meet the demands of the job.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
- Ability to cope with high stress situations.
- Ability to accurately identify and prioritize patient needs based on assessment.
- Knowledge of radio communications.
- Emergency medical practices and procedures within scope of practice.
- Working knowledge of individual responsibilities as they relate to the job description.
- Must be able to lift and move 100 lbs or more using proper lifting techniques.
- Ability to safely maneuver in diverse environmental settings (ie: out of doors, private residences etc.)
EMTs will maintain a cooperative and harmonious relationship with hospital staff, patients and members of the public. Demonstrates respect for others, communicates clearly and attempts to resolve interpersonal conflicts.
FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) works within their scope of practice and under the direct supervision of the paramedic while in the field. While in the hospital setting, EMTs work under the direct supervision of the attending emergency room Physician or RN within their scope of practice. The EMT reports to the Ambulance Operations Manager on a day-to-day basis with overall accountability to the Director of Nursing.
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY:
As set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), this position must maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
Protected Health Information is restricted to a need-to-know basis. Any intentional or unintentional breach of confidentiality will be reported to the HIPAA Privacy Officer and is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 06/23/2022