Director of Acute Care and Emergency Services
We are currently recruiting a highly motivated, professional Registered Nurse for this new position in the District. This is a mangement level position, full time, with benefits. The incumbent will be FLSA exempt, and will idealy work Monday though Friday, eight hours per day; however, hours may become irregular and long as needs arise.
Under the direction of the CNO and in concert with the Acute and ED Leadership team, the Director of Acute Care Services provides daily clinical and departmental leadership, oversight and operational control to the Acute and Emergency Departments. Primary responsibilities will include assuring all nursing care and services are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and standards of professional nursing. The Director and all staff reporting to the Director will be held to the highest professional and organizational standards, values, codes of conduct, goals and policies of the District. All nursing care overseen by the Director will be delivered in accordance with the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation, for all age groups served by the District. The Director assures the safe and efficient coordination of developmentally appropriate nursing care for patients in the Acute care and Emergency Department at all times. The Director will play in integral role in identifying and collecting Quality Assurance data and statistics for the assigned departments, as well as assist the Director of Quality in developing new QA indicators and performance improvement.
The Director will be responsible for the hiring, orientation, management, training and development, evaluation, and discipline of all staff reporting to him/her. The Director is ultimately responsible for assisting the departments under their control by overseeing intra-department, at-the-bedside patient care delivery that emphasizes staff and patient safety, customer service, operational efficiency, quality improvement, positive financial outcomes, human resources management, clinical outcomes, and physician relations. At all times, the Director will comply with HIPPA requirements by protecting the confidentiality of Protected Health Information, accessing only the information that is required to perform his/her job, and by discussing PHI only with others within hospital leadership who have a legitimate business reason to access the information.
The Director is the primary leader, mentor, preceptor and clinical resource expert over each department under the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer, and will be expected to lead by example. He/she is responsible for assisting with the orientation and teaching of new employees to their nursing specialty and ongoing in-service programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The following education or combination of education and experience are the minimum requirements of the position:
- Current and active RN license in the State of California.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required; strong preference for candidates in possession of an Advanced Degree
- Current BLS, ACLS & PALS certification.
- Strong preference for candidates with CEN and/or AACN.
- CEN/AACN within 12 months of employment.
- TNCC Provider status required within 6 months of hire.
- MICN within 12 months of hire.
- Other education requirements per unit-based education plan
- Candidates must have minimum of two (2) years’ recent experience in a busy emergency department; strong preference for candidates with greater than (5) five years in a busy emergency department:
- Relevant clinical experience required.
- Leadership, supervision, and/or management experience preferred.
- Strong clinical skills in assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation of patient care.
- Organizes and manages time, supplies, and equipment efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to lead and develop others individually and as a team, and to be an effective team member.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and adapt to new situations, think critically, problem solve and manage priorities.
- Demonstrated current knowledge of patient care, leadership, and management principles.
- Ability to operate clinical equipment, computer and telecommunications devices.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and mentor others.
- Must possess strong leadership acumen as well as ability to learn.
- Ability to maintain a high level of discipline and good order.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate and articulate strong understanding of clinical and operational components of the Acute and Emergency Department setting and recognized operational challenges to each department structure and operation.
- Must possess the ability to resolve staffing and complex patient issues with minimal direction.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and paraverbal communication skills, in order to provide effective leadership to employees and interact with patients, visitors, staff, and a variety of departmental personnel when gathering and exchanging patient-related information.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to interpret and enforce policies and procedures and identify and initiate appropriate corrective actions to resolve problems.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: NADM9.21.18