Dietary Cook - Full Tim- Loyalton Campus
Eastern Plumas Health Care is a small, non-profit, critical access hospital district, providing comprehensive medical services to Plumas County since 1971. We operate a 9 bed acute care hospital at our main Portola campus, which includes a 24 hour, physician staffed, emergency room and ambulance service. In addition, four primary care medical clinics and a dental clinic offer residents a full spectrum of health care services in the Graeagle, Loyalton, and Portola communities. There are also hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facilities in Portola and Loyalton.
This is a full-time, benefited position at the Loyalton Campus. Shift hours are 5:30 a.m.- 2:00 pm, and 10:30 a.m.- 9:00 pm.
The dietary cook prepares meals for patients, staff and guests following the established menus. Ensures that food temperature and portion control meet all requirements of State and Federal regulations. Maintain sanitary conditions of the department at all times. The dietary cook must be able to work weekends.
- Prepares and serves meals that are high quality and nutritious to patients, staff and guests.
- Ensures that the menu for the preparing meal is followed.
- Use the Nutritional Care Manual as a guide for the patients receiving a modified diet.
- Consistently checks the temperature of food to ensure that food served to patients is maintained at the correct temperature.
- Followers the standard serving portions as established by the Consultant Dietitian.
- Maintain strict sanitary condition in order to eliminate food contamination and to prevent the growth of disease producing organisms and the production of bacterial toxins.
- Ensures that hair is covered with an effective hair at all times when on duty.
- Use good hand-washing techniques when beginning work, between handling of dirty dishes or equipment and handling food, dishes or utensils, after toilet use, after break, between handling cooked and uncooked foods.
- Ensures that food handling gloves are worn when handling any food product that is going directly to the patient or staff.
- Ensures that the specifically designated cutting boards are used for cutting of red meats and poultry to prevent cross contamination.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with the nursing staff and co-workers to ensure that the nutritional needs of the patients are met
- Ensures that food preferences, nutritional status and other information regarding the patients diet are followed.
- Have an open communication with the nursing service so that any problems or concerns are quickly and easily resolved.
- Maintains a good working relationship with co-workers for overall efficiency within the department.
Skills / Requirements
- CA Food Handler card or equivalent; or obtain within 10 working days after employment.
- Prior hospital dietary services experience is preferred but not required for this position.
- Must have the ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4.2.20