Dental Sterilization Tech
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Sterilization Tech will report to the Dental Office Supervisor who reports to the Director of Clinics; but will also work closely with and be monitored by the Dentist.
POSITION SUMMARY: We are looking for an entry level Sterilization Tech for our busy Portola Dental Clinic, willing to train the right person with an opportunity for advancement into Dental Assisting. The purpose of this position is to provide support to the dental team in supplying and maintaining a steady inventory of sterile instruments and trays. Work as part of the dental team to continually improve the quality of services provided. You will be required to be constantly alert for ways to improve sterilization procedures to improve patient flow, increase productivity, improve utilization of resources. Prepares sterile trays in advance and monitors the supply of sterilized instruments ensuring instruments are available for procedures scheduled in the clinic. Maintains instruments and working areas in accordance with sterilization/disinfection protocols. Performs spore testing, cleans/maintains all dental equipment-autoclaves, sterilizers and completes documentation per policy
Eastern Plumas Health Care is a small, non-profit, critical access hospital, providing comprehensive medical services to Plumas County since 1971. We operate an acute care hospital at our main Portola campus, which includes a 24-hour, physician staffed, emergency room and ambulance service. In addition, four primary care medical clinics and a dental clinic offer residents a full spectrum of health care services in the Graeagle, Greenville, Loyalton, and Portola communities. There are also hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facilities in Portola and Loyalton.
It’s an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of the successful growth this rural hospital is experiencing, while maintaining your health through our comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, 403(b) with employer matching, plus much more. Surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains with beautiful lakes and trails for hiking, biking, fishing, and skiing, this facility is thriving. Compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
All healthcare workers are required to be vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine. We offer this free of charge as a part of your new employment process.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: All licenses and certifications are to be kept current and in good standing with the CA Dental Board. The role of this position is managed by the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA and CDC’s standards.
Position requirements include but are not limited to:
- High school diploma or GED. 1-2 years of medical or clinical experience preferred.
- Must complete California Dental Board certificate of completion of 8 hour Infection Control, within 90 days of hiring.
- No Experience needed
- Command of the English language and ability to communicate clearly to callers, visitors, patients, and all other staff members.
- Understanding of HIPPA and confidentiality issues as they relate to patient documents and communications.
- The Sterilization Technician shall practice in accordance with the Dental Practices Act for the State of CA.
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license, have a good driving record and show proof of insurance coverage.
- Must be able to use a computer and perform basic tasks including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, e-mail, etc.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Greets patients in waiting area and escorts patients to the exam chairs.
- Assists the dentist in the administration of treatment at the chair side as required or directed by the dentist.
- Maintain a sterile and neat working environment according to current infection control procedures.
- Review the health history, make chart entries under the direction of the operator and assure completion of forms and signatures.
- Assume the responsibility associated with any expanded duties that may be delegated by the dentist.
- Review daily schedule to set up appropriate trays and instruments.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
SKILLS: Entry level -Sterilization Tech for our busy Portola Dental Clinic, willing to train the right person with an opportunity for advancement into Dental Assisting. Fast passed environment, with last minute changes to procedures. Works well under pressure. Attention to detail is a must.
PHYSICAL CAPACITIES/EQUIPMENT OPERATED: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those required for any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equipment operated and/or maintained:
- Dental handpieces
- dental compressors
- Biohazard and sharps containers.
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY:
As set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), this position must maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
Protected Health Information is restricted to a need-to-know basis. Any intentional or unintentional breach of confidentiality will be reported to the HIPAA Privacy Officer and is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2/2/22