The Cook is responsible for the preparations of meals for long term care residents and acute care patients. The candidate must be able to follow directions to ensure that meals are served at the appropriate times, and take responsibility to ensure that all assignments are completed at the end of work shift.
Follows all duties and responsibilities as outlined on work sheet.
- Ensures that hair is covered with an effective hair restraint at all times while on duty.
- Use good hand-washing techniques when beginning work, between handling of dirty dishes or equipment and handling food, dishes or utensils, after toilet use, after break, between handling cook and uncooked food.
- Store away all received supplies in appropriate places.
- Clean all areas listed on work sheet.(see attached)
- Ensures that food handling gloves are worn when handling any food that is going directly to the patient.
- Maintains a good working relationship with co-workers for overall efficiency of the department.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (Include Education, Certifications, Physical Capacities, Equipment Used, Specific Skills)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
Education and Experience:
- Prior hospital dietary service experience is preferred but not required for this position.
Must be willing to follow all directions given and follow all regulations as mandated by State and Federal law.
The duties that follow are the responsibility of the dietary employee are the following:
- Determines types and quantities of meats, vegetables and soups to be prepared by reviewing planned menus.
- Determines amount of foods needed to meet weekly menus and submits order to Nutritional Services Supervisor.
- Ensures meals are ready at specified times.
- Assist the cook with breakfast and lunch trays.
Supervises Nutritional Services workers when washing, trimming or preparing food.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to approved recipes, using blenders, mixers, grinders, slicers, etc.
- Carves meat, fish and fowl into individual servings according to menu combinations and patient diet orders
- Observes infection control practices at all times.
- Set up trays for preceding meal.
- Prepare salad dressing, Jello, pudding, etc., and date.
- Improves flavor and texture of food by adding ingredients or seasonings
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Assist with the rotation of all products, cleaning of freezers and walk-ins.
Additional Duties and responsibilities:
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and JCAHO regulations.
- Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes inservices and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and performs departmental inservices.
- Attends at least _____ staff meetings; reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes
- Actively participates in the department’s continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 100118