The dietary cook prepares meals for patients, staff and guests following the established menus. Ensures that food temperature and portion control meet all requirements of State and Federal regulations.
Prepares and serves meals that are high quality and nutritious to patients, staff and guests.
- Ensures that the menu for the preparing meal is followed.
- Use the Nutritional Care Manual as a guide for the patients receiving a modified diet.
- Consistently checks the temperature of food to ensure that food served to patients is maintained at the correct temperature.
- Followers the standard serving portions as established by the Consultant Dietitian.
- Maintain strict sanitary condition in order to eliminate food contamination and to prevent the growth of disease producing organisms and the production of bacterial toxins.
- Ensures that hair is covered with an effective hair at all times when on duty.
- Use good hand-washing techniques when beginning work, between handling of dirty dishes or equipment and handling food, dishes or utensils, after toilet use, after break, between handling cooked and uncooked foods.
- Ensures that food handling gloves are worn when handling any food product that is going directly to the patient or staff.
- Ensures that the specifically designated cutting boards are used for cutting of red meats and poultry to prevent cross contamination.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with the nursing staff and co-workers to ensure that the nutritional needs of the patients are met
- Ensures that food preferences, nutritional status and other information regarding the patients diet are followed.
- Have an open communication with the nursing service so that any problems or concerns are quickly and easily resolved.
- Maintains a good working relationship with co-workers for overall efficiency within the department.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (Include Education, Certifications, Physical Capacities, Equipment Used, Specific Skills)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Prior hospital dietary services experience is preferred but not required for this position. Must be willing to learn all aspects of the job description and follow all regulations by State and Federal law. Must demonstrate and teach all appropriate lifting techniques. Must have the ability to lift 30lbs on a regular basis and up to 50 lbs frequently.
- Turn on all equipment and lights in preparation for the day.
- Organize and prepare breakfast following the menu.
- Organize and prepare lunch following the menu.
- Serve breakfast and lunch following each patient’s dietary guidelines.
- Ensure that temperature control on all food is in accordance with State and Federal guidelines.
- Ensure that portion controls are followed.
- Ensure that all infection control practices are followed,(hair covered, gloves worn, no nail polish or false nails, serving utensils used, meat boards used, ) ect.
- Serve each staff member and visitor their requested meal.
- Clean and sanitize steam table after breakfast and lunch.
- Clean all accumulated spills, drips, splashes ect from stove and oven.
- Wash pots and pans used for previous meals in back sink, then take to dishwasher to be sterilized.
- Take meat from freezer for next day’s meals following the required thawing process.
The dietary cook has working relationship and contacts with patients, physicians, staff, guests, vendors, food suppliers and State and Federal entities.
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY:
As set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), this position must maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
Protected Health Information is restricted to a need-to-know basis. Any intentional or unintentional breach of confidentiality will be reported to the HIPAA Privacy Officer and is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 01/11/18