Clinic Phone Operator/Scheduler
EPHC is looking for a highly motivated Clinic Phone Operator/Scheduler to fill a full-time position and provide excellent care to our community. The Clinic Phone Operator/Scheduler performs a variety of duties, primarily including the receipt of incoming, and in house calls and scheduling appointments. The Clinic Phone Operator/Scheduler is also responsible for delivering quality customer service to all customers with enthusiasm and empathy, providing answers to questions, collecting co-payments, accurate record keeping, and obtaining and verifying all demographic and financial information required for medical charting and billing.
Eastern Plumas Health Care is a small, non-profit, critical access hospital, providing comprehensive medical services to Plumas County since 1971. We operate an acute care hospital at our main Portola campus, which includes a 24-hour, physician staffed, emergency room and ambulance service. In addition, four primary care medical clinics and a dental clinic offer residents a full spectrum of health care services in the Graeagle, Greenville, Loyalton, and Portola communities. There are also hospital-based Skilled Nursing Facilities in Portola and Loyalton.
It’s an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of the successful growth this rural hospital is experiencing, while maintaining your health through our comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, 403(b) with employer matching, plus much more. Surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains with beautiful lakes and trails for hiking, biking, fishing, and skiing, this facility is thriving. Compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
All healthcare workers are required to be vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine. We offer this free of charge as a part of your new employment process.
The Clinic Phone Operator/Scheduler reports to the Clinic Front Office Supervisor and ultimately to the Director of Outpatient Clinics.
- Answers telephone within 2-3 rings in a professional manner, routes calls as necessary, records and delivers
- messages in a timely manner
- Responsible for scheduling appointments for all three clinic locations
- Schedules routine and return/follow-up appointments according to the Providers request
- Provides support for Operator/Schedulers on days off, currently Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Is expected to perform all tasks assigned to the Registration Clerk/Receptionist, including training of any
- personnel as requested by the Clinic Front Office Supervisor or the Director of Outpatient Clinics
- May provide Clinic medical Providers and nursing staff with a copy of the daily schedule and notify them of any
- changes throughout the day
- May telephone the following day’s patients to remind them of their scheduled appointments, and to inform them
- of their required co-pay amounts or information they may need to bring with them
- Additional duties as assigned
- Places the patient’s safety, comfort, dignity and convenience before all other considerations
- Behaves with courtesy and respect when speaking to patients, health professionals, and others
- Strives to develop and maintain mutually beneficial long-term relationships with clients, business partners,
- community leaders and coworkers
- Follows departmental operating procedures (neatness in work area, requesting time off, attendance, completing
- expense accounts, safety measures in office and field)
- Displays flexibility and adaptability in responding to departmental and professional changes
- Demonstrates interpersonal relations, honesty, and ethical behavior of the highest standards
- Seeks to do the right thing with respect to every decision
- Seeks to understand and faithfully serve the needs of the community
- Strives for both the short and long term profitability of EPHC
- Applies recommendations for personal growth improvement
- Appearance is professional and complies with organizational dress code
- Participates and adheres to department Quality Improvement activities seeking to provide the best care while
- looking for ways to refine processes
- Responds to patient concerns in an effort to problem solve
- Delivers care perceived by the patient/family to be personal, respectful, attentive, courteous, tactful, and professional
- Demonstrates support and follows the Mission & Values of EPHC at all times
- Corrects inaccurate work and reports consistent non-compliance to the Clinic Front Office Supervisor
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (Include Education, Certifications, Physical Capacities, Equipment Used, Specific Skills)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: The following education or combination of education and experience are required for the position:
- High school diploma or GED required
- 1-2 years of medical or clinical experience preferred
- Command of the English language, able to communicate clearly to callers, visitors, patients, and co-workers
- Basic mathematic skills, able to read and copy figures accurately, and the ability to properly prepare and complete co-payment transactions
- Understanding of HIPPA and confidentiality issues as they relate to patient documents and communications
- Customer service focused
- Can clearly explain front office procedures to patients
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Have valid California driver’s license, good driving record, and proof of insurance
- Operates basic office equipment: typing, faxing, copying, printing, and calculating
- Must be able to work under steady pressure with diverse stimuli and constant patient contact
- Must demonstrate reliability and punctuality
- Medical office experience preferred
- Provide positive solutions and constructive strategies applicable to an office setting
- 1Strong typing and computer skills
- Able to relate well with clinic and hospital support staff
- Able to assist with minor problem-solving and assisting with locating appropriate person to help
- Able to express empathy towards patients during demanding patient and organizational needs
- Able to orient and train new staff with kindness and patience
- Possesses an ability to prioritize assignments and responsibilities, and handle a wide range of duties
- Demonstrates integrity and honesty
- Self disciplined
- A creative problem solver
- Communicates clearly
- Open to constructive criticism
PHYSICAL CAPACITIES/EQUIPMENT OPERATED:
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds from the floor to waist, and push at least 50 pounds (objects on wheels). Flexible arm movement associated with filing and/or stocking duties. Ability to reach above shoulder level. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those required for any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Clear speech is required for telephone communication, and communication with other employees and patients. Hearing is required for telephone, employee, and patient communication.
- The work environment is an enclosed space. The noise level is moderately quiet, with occasional noise from medical and laboratory equipment, cast saw, patient and employee conversation, photocopiers, computer keyboards and printers, telephones, etc. There are odors associated with human bodies and bodily functions, cleaning and disinfectant solutions and other chemicals.
- There are caustic chemicals present. There is occasional potential for exposure to blood-borne pathogens and biohazardous material.
Equipment operated and/or maintained:
- Fax Machine Multi-line telephone
- Desktop PC Photocopier
- Paper Cutter Labeler
- Calculator Scanner
- Hole Punch Stapler
- Pursues opportunities to assist all co-workers in and outside of regularly assigned duties
- Is team oriented and able to participate as a member of staff with a goal of providing primary health care to the residents of Plumas and Sierra Counties
- Interacts professionally with personnel throughout all EPHC departments
FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Actively contributes in staff meetings
- Identifies problems, and recommends resources and methods for resolution using chain of command
- Cooperates with coworkers and Clinic Front Office Supervisor to develop clinic schedule
- Monitors own performance and reports on program/problem progress
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY:
As set forth in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), this position must maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with State and Federal regulations. Protected Health Information is restricted to a need-to-know basis. Any intentional or unintentional breach ofconfidentiality will be reported to the HIPAA Privacy Officer and is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2/24/22